In a week’s time, nearly a thousand people from across the country will gather for the National Immigrant Integration Conference 2015 (NIIC 2015). NIIC is taking place in a time of great turmoil: We’ve seen backlashes against immigrant communities from elected officials and presidential candidates. A rise in anti-refugee and Islamophobic rhetoric. And a pernicious culture of fear and intolerance descending upon communities across the nation.
Against this backdrop, NIIC will address these issues head on by offering plenary presentations, panels and workshops that highlight the best strategies being used across the country to welcome refugees, including:
- Understanding and Addressing Today’s Organized Backlash Against Muslim Immigrants and Refugees
- Empowering Immigrant and Refugee Entrepreneurs through Financial Inclusion
- The Global Refugee Crisis and an American Integration Agenda
- What Makes a Welcoming and Inclusive Community
Will you be at NIIC to make the call for tolerance loud and clear?
Among some of the many leaders who will be joining the NIIC conversation December 13th to the 15th, here are some key speakers who will discuss why we need to welcome refugees:
- Felicia Escobar, Special Assistant to the President for Immigration Policy
- Melanie Nezer, Advocacy Director, HIAS, and Chair, Refugee Council USA
- Farhana Khera, Executive Director, Muslim Advocates
- Suzanne Akhras Sahloul, President and Executive Director, Syrian Community Network
- Robert Carey, Director, U.S. Department of Health Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Linda Hartke, President and CEO, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
- Vivek Malhotra, Director, Civil and Human Rights, Ford Foundation
There’s still time to register by clicking HERE.
Check out the conference schedule HERE.